Monday, July 23, 2007

London July 16th-July 22nd

**Okay so basically...I didn't have my laptop when I went up North so I'm going to make each entry extremely short. If I don't this is going to take me forever, and I'll never catch up.

July 16th, Monday:
-Leave London
-Took short break. I bought tissues and Coke Orange (Limited Edition only and I'm fully promoting it because it's delish)
-Everytime I tried to open 'Oliver Twist' I fell asleep. Like...I wouldn't get any farther passed the cover and I was already conked out
-Stopped at the Preston Temple. Gorgeous. I got yelled at though because I walked onto the grounds. I broke into temple grounds...oppsieee.
-Stopped at River Ripple (or something like that). It's where the first Saints in England rushed to be baptized (who would be baptized first kind of game).
-Make it to Lake District (Langdale)
-Dinner in town with Ashely and Holly
-Hiked a STRENUOUS HIKE up to the hostel, which was like...not just a hop, skip, and jump away. It was like...Sean lugging his legs up the steep mountain side. AKA my feet hate me.
-After getting situated, a lot of us wanted to take a walk around. I ran into some kids and asked them "Is there anything up this way?", and they said "Emus". I was like whatever. Well turns out we were hiking up ANOTHER mountain. We decided to hike farther up a different mountain to watch the sun set. On the way up I said, "Great VIEWS not EMUS! Stupid kids." And everyone started cracking up, because apparently that's what they said in the first place. And I was the only one not to notice (like usually). Anywayyyyy, I was the 3rd person to make it up out of all the people that went up (and yes, there were more than 3 people that went up!) The view was IMPECIBLE! It was so gorgeous. It's like, you only see something so beautiful just a couple times in a lifetime. I could sit atop that mountain and look at the view forever. It was breathtaking. It was one of those moments where you just stand back, and say to yourself, "How can there not be a God?" Amazing.
-After soaking the naturely things in, we played. Then, back at the hostel, I learned how to play Scum. Best card game everrrr!

...........................................................................
July 17th, Tuesday:
-Walked to Grasmere
-William Wordsworth museum and cabin
-Learned that in Wordsworth and his family brushed their teeth with salt and soot...not very effective I imagine
-James, John, Becca, and I rented a rowboat to go on the lake. I was the HAPPIEST person in the world when I found out the name of our rowboat was the (pretend size 50 caps and bold) WATER GYPSY! YAYYYY!
-Went back to Langdale and took a ferry ride.
-Ate dinner in town, Lauren, Spencer, James, Page, and Me...worst dinner ever. Some guy told us it was "top notch" (after telling us he's never been there before...so how does he make sense out of that? I don't even know). But...yeah I have a BIG BIG BIG story about that...you'll have to ask me about that, seeing as I can't type it. Uhh...yeah.
-Back to hostel, and walked down to lake to reflect.

............................................................
July 18th, Wednesday:
-Drove out of Lake District
-Saw some more Roman Walls (okay, I just couldn't be happy on this leg of the trip. How many more Roman walls do we need to see?...They're WALLS!!! Like...a wall you know. Why? I wonder.) But, after getting there it wasn't that bad. I think I was just cranky.
-Then, YAY drove into Scotland!
-Went to the Scotland Castle museum thing. It was way cool actually. I learned a lot about Scottish history. Like how they hate Oliver Cromwell. And like how an American prisoner in a war a long time ago carved into the wooden door the American flag (still perserved).
-I saw bagpipers, and I swear I saw Jack Dawkins (Artful Dodger) on the streets doing some performance thing.
-We stayed the night at a B&B (Bed & Breakfast). It was SOOOO much fun! Like, I only had to share a shower with one other person, and we just played Scum over at the girls B&B. OH MY GOSH moment: Okay, so at the girls B&B there was this really friendly dog (I named him Tucker, and everyone just started calling him Tucker, assuming that was his real name). And, for some reason he really loved to jump on me and lick my face all over and contaminate me with dog drool (I had to run back to my B&B multiple times to wash my face). I miss MY Tucker!

..................................
July 19th, Thursday:
-Walked around the Royal Mile in Scotland
-Tried to find the Parliament building. We couldn't find it so I asked the policeman where it was, and apparently we were standing RIGHT underneath it. It's a very interesting building, and looks nothing like the Parliament building here in London. It's very artsy and modern looking.
-I bought a tartan scarf (because apparently the summers up in Scotland just like to be freezing) and a kilt! I just couldn't resist. The kilt was calling my name.
-We (Page, Katie, and Spencer) got lost (I'm like prone to getting lost), and we thought we saw our bus leaving without us, so we were running to it shouting "DON'T LEAVE" and "BOB (the name of our driver) STOP!!!" Well...how STUPID did we look running passed our professor and his family yelling and shouting those things. WHOOPS!
-Left Scotland.
-Made it to Alnswick Castle (my favorite). Harry Potter was filmed here. And I stood where the kids were first introduced to Quidditch! That's right!!!!
-It's crazy that a family acutally still lives there (The Percy Family). They live in other parts of the world during the summer, but in the Winter the castle closes down to tourists and the family moves back in. George, Melissa, Max, and Katie are the kids names. And Melissa Percy is a professional tennis player in the states. Just thought I would share. I'm only just fascinated with this family that I DON'T EVEN KNOW. I'm pathetic.
-I made friends with an owl.
-We made our way to York
-We were trying to find some dinner, and I walked into a pub, and you know me...I'm walking into this pub in full dance mode. Well, turns out they wont even sell a sandwhich to anyone younger than 18 (Spencer and James), so we had to leave...how stupid must I have looked walking in dancing, and walking out like two seconds later. Oh Sean, you crazy crazy man.

..................................
July 20th, Friday:
-Visited on of the largest Gothic Cathedrals in all of England (in York)
-Visited the Bronte house
-Fed up with Bus
-Traffic forever
-I got tired of sleeping
-Fed up with Bus
-Stupid Bus
-When are we going to get back to London, Mr. Bus?
-I want to be home now.
-There was like...no where to even stop for a pee break, and people were starting to form ulcers from holding it in so long. For reals.
-People were offering just to go out in the bushes while we were stopped at a traffic light.
-After many, many hours...we finally...wait no...still on the Bus
-More bus
-FINALLY, made it back to London. Just in time to shovel food down our throats, me get dressed as Harry Potter, and get in line at the bookstore to get the last Harry Potter book. Oh it was a lovely affair. The pictures below depict, Me (Harry) with Cho, Ginny, Draco, Hermione, Luna, etc.

....................................
July 21st, Saturday:
-Went to Portobello Market in the morning to get oranges
-Surprise e-mail saying I have to speak in church the next day (on top of Elders Quorum Lesson).
-Studied all day. Did church prep. all day
-No pictures...seeing as...I was INSIDE ALL DAY.

.................................
July 22nd, Sunday:
-Church. Talk went GREAT. Lesson...not so much.
-No pictures...seeing as the MOMENT I got home...I stayed in and studied my butt off for the midterm the REST OF THE NIGHT.

No comments: